Thursday, September 21, 2006

Love's Interests

We Do Landers have written several times about the importance of the things the people in a couple are interested in. I, for one, often point to one of my favorite movies, High Fidelity, which states that "What you like is more important than what you're like."

What I'm interested in doing now is discussing the variance in that importance. I think it'd be tough to make a totally objective call on this one, by saying that what you like and what you're like are equally important, or that one is 60% more important than the other, so that's not what I aim to do.

I'm interested in people's specific experiences with this spectrum. Have you ever dated someone with very similar interests, and then found out they were crazy? Alternatively, have you ever dated someone who you had nothing in common with, and then found out that the two of you were a match made in Heaven? Does the type of "thing" matter (excluding things like religion)? That is, are books more important than movies? Is music more important than a love of sports? How much or how little of another person's interests is necessary to share before a reasonable person can say from the beginning that it'll never work?

I really want to hear what people have to say about this. I'll start:
For about three years, from age 19 to 21 or so, I dated a girl with some success who I've called Samantha on this site before. Samantha and I got along famously, but ultimately had very little in common, which was a large part of our breakup. After the split, I figured that I should start dating girls who I shared interests with. I met girls at shows and in classes, but ultimately our interests weren't nearly enough to keep us together. (Obviously, the fact that I haven't met a girl with similar interests who can keep my attention may or may not mean anything to the bigger picture.) When I reflect on this, I think about my friends who are married or are otherwise in successful relationships, and I realize that their interests don't seem to be of a material nature at all. My one married friend has most of his interests in working and being with his wife, for example. He likes movies and books and stuff, but not to the point that Rob Gordon--or I--does/do.

Is it a middling interest in things cultural that allows this spectrum not to be an issue? What if I were to abandon my obsession with Woody Allen, Jonathan Lethem, and Sound Team? Would I be better suited to finding a well-adjusted broad? For now it seems like only time and the continuation of my passions will tell.

7 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Not that I'm well versed, but I think that when it comes down to it every relationship comes down to three things: sex, communication and common intrests.

With that said, I never want to date a girl who thinks she is into sports. No matter how into sports she may be I, and my friends, are into them exponentially more. What I need and what I want is somoene to understand how important sports are to me. That's all, just to get that is enough for me.

What I mean to say is that having general intrests intersect is a nice bonus (If there was a girl for example who loved the Raiders that would be awsome.) But it is more important to accurately gauge what is important and to what degree. So I guess I fall on the side of what you are like as opposed to what you like.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

I dated a girl that liked country music. I tried to look past it because she was really pretty and voluptuous, but when she would get drunk by herself and call me to come pick her up, I had to break it off..

4:39 PM  
Blogger bgeorge77 said...

I don't care much about shared interests, as long as the basic gist of what she likes is what I like. Artsy, po-mo.

Far more... FAR MORE important is chemistry.

3:01 PM  
Blogger sammyray said...

Persoanlly, I think success in a relationship has to do with being able to have interests OUTSIDE the relationship. People need to breathe and experience other things.

You and your girlfriend wife have the common interest of having sex. Isn't that enough????

7:10 PM  
Blogger Derelict said...

Yeah, I don't think interests are a big deal. Either way, you can usually learn something from each other.

Though, music definitely is a fairly big factor, for me at least. I'm really not a big fan of quiet, poppy stuff, and I know lots of people hate hip-hop and dance music. Music, more than anything else, is something that can seriously get to me after a while, so if she's always listening to Sarah Mclaughlan, and I'm always listening to Ice Cube, then there could be some problems.

But, yeah, chemistry is definitely key. There's just some girls that you click with.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Derelict said...

That being said, "You just gotta work it out."

I'm sure I heard that lyric at least a couple times before ...

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home