Thursday, October 19, 2006

Does that make me crazy?

Something I've learned: Women are particularly sensitive to being called crazy.

Carl Jung said that people react strongly to things when they suspect that they're true, and I think that's what we're dealing with here. Deep down, women wonder if maybe a little tiny bit of them is crazy. I think they think about all the crazy women they've known--their mothers, their grandmothers, their teachers, their friends--and they kind of see a little of themselves in them. (The things women do to each other in each of these relationships is enough to make anyone crazy.) Their suspicion bugs the shit out of them.1

A lot of women counter the name calling with what they seem to think is the male equivalent: "Well, if guys weren't such assholes, we probably wouldn't be that way." I'm here to tell you: guys aren't hurt by being called an asshole. We kind of relish it.

There's something about being considered an asshole that makes a man feel manly. Decent men don't feel this way all the time; we usually feel bad about treating a woman in such a way that she would want to pull the a-word out of her arsenal, but a percentage of our brain is chuckling slyly with the knowledge that he can hurt someone. Being called a heartbreaker, or a "typical male," or a jerk, or whatever, can be more empowering than making a woman have an orgasm.

So what do you call a man if you really want to get to the root of his insecurity? What major psychosis do men have that they never want to talk about?

Their sexuality. Call him gay. Tell him his dick is small. Tell him you faked orgasms. Tell him he was the worst you ever had. In fact, just address him as "fag" over and over again in conversation, while telling him you slept with his better-endowed brother. Then you'll really see crazy.

1This isn't to say that men aren't crazy. We are.

2 Comments:

Blogger Derelict said...

Yeah, there's probably a lot of truth to that. Esp. about attacking a guy's sexuality.

I definitely think that the sexes create a lot of craziness in each other.

Which would seem to imply that only gay people are the sane ones ...

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Do Landers,

I'm going to break up with my girlfriend but am not sure about what I'm going to tell her when she asks me why I want to end it. Right now all I can come up with is: "Where we are right now is where we were 4 months ago and where we're going to be 4 months from now. We've stopped growing togeather and I just can't be in a committed relationship when it is stagnent like this."

Other than hoping that she doesn't ask my reasons and is as anxious as I am to end things what is a good plan of attack?

-Clueless in Cleveland

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home